Sunday 22 March 2015

Gerrard: Defeat was all my fault


Gerrard: Defeat was all my fault 

The Liverpool midfielder was dismissed just 38 seconds after coming on as a substitute on Sunday as Brendan Rodgers' side's top four hopes were dealt a big blow

Liverpool midfielder Steven Gerrard says he was at fault for his side's 2-1 defeat to Manchester United on Sunday after he was sent off less than a minute after coming on as a half-time substitute at Anfield.

The 34-year-old started the match on the bench but was introduced in place of Adam Lallana before the start of the second half, with United leading 1-0 after Juan Mata's exquisite first-half finish.

However, Gerrard was sent off just 38 seconds into his appearance for a stamp on Ander Herrera, and United went on take all three points, with Mata doubling his tally with a stunning bicycle kick.

Gerrard subsequently gave a post-match interview and accepted that he was to blame for the club's defeat, while he refused to contest Martin Atkinson's decision.

"I just need to accept it, the decision was right," he told Sky Sports. "I've let my team-mates and the manager down today and even more importantly let the supporters down so I take full responsibility for my actions.

"I tried to jump his tackle and I've seen his studs and I've reacted wrong, so I've been in the game long enough to know that when you do something like that - especially at that moment in the game with 45 minutes to play, with a great opportunity to get back in the game - I take full responsibility for it."

Gerrard was also at a loss to explain why he chose to stamp on Herrera, and apologised to his team-mates.

"I don't know (what caused it)," he added. "Probably just a reaction to the initial tackle but I don't really think I should say too much more on it really. I think I've come here to speak now, just to apologise to everyone in the dressing room and all the supporters because I take full responsibility for today's result."

Latest News

 

No comments:

Post a Comment